Monday, January 2

The September Issue

One of my other goals for 2012 is to watch more new movies. 200, to be exact. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous and almost shallow, but I've gotten into a bit of a rom-com / superhero movie rut and I'm desperate to get out. Also, somehow movies have wound themselves into 'culture' and I'd like to be more culturally diverse.

This all the be said, I'm watching The September Issue. It's been on my list for a long time now, and I've finally buckled down.

I've often heard said that we're all under the delusion that what we're doing with our lives is of any significance at all. When I watch The September Issue, I can't see a more self involved industry. This is hard for me because I love fashion. I only just finished painting my nails a nice emerald green, and I'm in love with my cape and boots I got last week. I love coordinating outfits and I love the way a dress or pair of shoes can transform the way you feel about yourself and the world around you. Dressing up is a magical experience.

But it's not important. The time and concentration with which these people wrap their lives around clothes is a bit preposterous. I'm not going to pull the 'there are dying children in Africa' card because frankly we don't even need to go that far. Just...let's get some perspective. No one remembers what was in the 2010 September issue. No one remembers the 2011 issue at that. It's an industry bent on constant changes, and there seems to be a common belief that without them, the world wouldn't remember to put clothes on.

It's just like, go outside, you know? Get out of your New York-Paris-London-Rome bubble and go learn something. Make a substantial difference somewhere.

I just don't get the fashion industry anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I watched that movie earlier this year! It was very interesting...and I completely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete